2012 update (Facelift)
- New single-frame grille with the beveled upper corners is painted high-gloss black, with horizontal chrome inserts adorning the struts on the V10 variants
- New bumper with the air inlets bearing three crossbars each (optional front splitter in carbon fiber reinforced plastic)
- LED headlights are now standard on all variants of the Audi R8
- Vent louvers next to the rear window have an aluminum look on the R8 V10 Coupé (matt black on the R8 V8 Coupé)
- 7-speed S Tronic replacing R Tronic transmission (S Tronic standard on all V10 engine models)
- Audi magnetic ride adaptive damping is standard on the R8 V10 and optional for the V8 variants; it offers a normal mode and a sports mode
- V8 engine versions have the standard wheel dimensions of 8.5 J x 18 at the front and 10.5 J x 18 at the rear, with tire sizes 235/40 and 285/35. On the V10 versions Audi mounts 19-inch wheels of widths 8.5 and 11 inches; the tires come in the sizes 235/35 and 295/30 respectively.
- electrically adjustable sports seats are optional on the V8 engine versions and standard on the V10 variants (R8 Spyder seats include a special pigmentation reduces heating from direct sunlight)
- center console and the handbrake lever are covered with leather, adorned by delicate seams; in the V10 models the molding around the standard navigation system plus is also leather-covered.
- R8 V10 and the R8 V10 plus come with the navigation system plus and the Bang & Olufsen Sound System as standard on-board features
R8 V10 plus (available only as a coupé) includes:
- front splitter in carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP)
- housings of the outside mirrors and the side blades (lateral air inlets) made from CFRP
- standard vent louvers next to the rear window in matt black
- LEDs illuminate the engine compartment with a partial CFRP lining for the engine compartment
- plus rear diffusor in CFRP
- tailpipe trim sections in black
- matt effect body colour option
- 1,570 kg (3,461.26 lb) dry weight
- V10 engine rated 550 PS (405 kW; 542 bhp)@8000rpm and 540 N·m (398.28 lb·ft)@6500rpm
- sport-tuned shock absorbers and camber values at the front axle
- 19″ 5-double spoke Y design wheels titanium finish (Optional black gloss
- cross-drilled & ventilated Audi ceramic brakes
- standard bucket seats with prominent side sections
- upholstery inlays in Carbon Sigma
- door sills in Carbon Sigma
Other options for all R8 variants include a high-beam assistant, a stowage package, various travel case sets, a cell phone preparation, with belt microphone and voice control, and the parking system plus with reversing camera.
European models were delivered at the end of 2012. Early models include R8 V8 (Coupé/Spyder), R8 V10 (Coupé/Spyder), R8 V10 plus (Coupé).
UK models went on sale as 2013 model year vehicles. The sales began in August 2012, with deliveries began in early 2013.
US models went on sale in 2013-04-11 as 2014 model year vehicles. Early models include R8 V8 (Coupé/Spyder), R8 V10 (Coupé/Spyder), R8 V10 plus (Coupé).
Japan models went on sale in August 2013. Early models include R8 V8 (Coupé), R8 V10 (Coupé/Spyder).
The vehicle was unveiled in 2013 Geneva Motor Show, followed by 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show.